In light of the ongoing events in Ukraine we would like to reassure you that should a policyholder wish to let a room or their property to a Ukrainian refugee as part of the government refugee scheme, we do not need to be informed and there will be no change to the terms of the policy. We are simply classing the refugee(s) as a non-paying guest(s).
It is however worth noting the following:
An asylum seeker is a person who leaves their country of residence, enters another country and applies for asylum (i.e. international protection) in this other country. An asylum seeker is an immigrant who has been forcibly displaced and might have fled their home country because of war or other factors harming them or their family. If their case is accepted, they become considered a refugee.
In light of the situation in Ukraine, all those that have fled and have come to the UK have been granted asylum so therefore should not be considered as asylum seekers on the Let or eLet products. They are to be rated as whatever their status is i.e., professional, DSS benefit, student, retired etc. You may however need to establish if the individuals have come to the UK as part of the official government scheme. If not, they are likely seeking asylum so should be classed as asylum seekers.
Refugees will be accepted within the existing terms and conditions of most policies as follows:
- Flex – no change in terms or conditions.
- Let – no change in terms or conditions, no requirement for a lease agreement but see above for how to classify the occupants.
- Retreat – no change in terms or conditions.
- Unoccupied - Consideration is needed as to whether the risk needs to be transferred to another product for the duration of the refugee(s) stay so please refer these instances to us should you become aware.
- Amethyst Original - no change in terms or conditions.
- Amethyst - no change in terms or conditions.
- Premier - no change in terms or conditions.
- eFlex – no change in terms or conditions.
- eLet – no change in terms or conditions, no requirement for a lease agreement but see above for how to classify the occupants.
Depending on the product there may also be cover for guests’ personal effects although limits will apply – please see the respective policy wording.
We're here to help
If you need help, clarification or have any questions please contact any member of our underwriting team or email email@example.com.