Far from standard.


Unoccupied Residential Homes

Frequently Asked Questions

Please click any of the frequently asked questions below to reveal the answer.

What is Unoccupied?

Unoccupied is a policy designed to cover all nature of vacant domestic properties. Some risks can be quoted online without referral to underwriters and for risks that require bespoke underwriting we continue to offer direct access to underwriters to help you find a solution for your client.

Why use Unoccupied?

Heres 5 good reasons:

  • Cover - Unoccupied offers 3 levels of cover ranging from basic perils to full cover to suit your client's needs. We offer varying policy terms from 90/180/270 days to annual policies with the flexibility to extend policies if further cover is required.

  • Flexible Underwriting - Unoccupied can offer a solution for all types of vacant domestic properties whether it be properties up for sale, properties undergoing renovation or vacant properties and/or client's with another 'non standard' element such, but not limited to, subsidence, non standard construction types, convictions or adverse claims history.

  • Price - We’ve ensured that Unoccupied is competitively priced so that a quote from Plum will not only assist you in retaining existing clients but help you win profitable new business too.

  • Service - Plum has been voted an Insurance Times 'Top 10' personal lines insurer by brokers for the last 5 years. Our experiences, accessible underwriting team is at hand to assist you as required.
  • Security - Underwriting capacity is provided by Lloyd's of London, the world’s leading insurance market. For financial strength, Lloyd’s is rated A (Excellent), A+ (Strong) and A+ (strong), by A.M. Best, Fitch Ratings and Standard & Poor's respectively.

What are your minimum and maximum sums insured?

Minimum £10,000 for contents and £75,000 for buildings. There are no fixed maximums, these are considered on a case-by-case basis.

What excesses usually apply?

Unoccupied is an excess free product so unless we have advised otherwise no excess applies for claims, other than for subsidence which is £1,000.

Will my client have to comply with any security conditions/warranties?

As vacant properties pose a higher than normal risk of unauthorised entry, our policy wording includes a condition which states a minimum level of security is required and that this security is kept in good working order and put in place whenever the property is left unattended.

Are there any other requirements my client should be aware of?

We also ask that the property is inspected by the client or a trusted adult at least once every 14 days to mitigate any loss or damage.

Can you offer cover for properties where there are building works ongoing?

We can consider risks with up to £200,000 building works, however for those risks with high value building works we may ask for more information about the type of work ongoing and the contracts that have been signed. For high value building works and/or risks where contract works cover is required our HomeWorks product may be more suitable.

Do you provide cover for commercial properties, e.g. a shop?

Unfortunately we cannot provide cover for commercial properties themselves but we can consider cover for residential properties above commercial premises, e.g. a flat above a shop.

Do you offer cover for property development?

Property development will be considered subject to certain criteria, however we are unlikely to offer all 3 levels of cover for these types of risks.

Will you consider properties that have been unoccupied for a long time?

We have no maximum period of unoccupancy that we will offer quotes on, however we may ask for further information for properties that have been unoccupied for more than 3 years to ensure we understand the risk.

Do you offer refunds if the policy is cancelled?

Unlike some other insurers we offer pro rata returns when policies are cancelled – even if they are short term.

Do you offer renewals for Unoccupied policies?

Only annual policies are eligible to “”renew” however choosing a short term policy does not restrict the client, the policy can be extended beyond the original term if required.

Who provides the capacity for Unoccupied?

Underwriting capacity is provided by certain underwriters at Lloyd’s of London, the world’s leading insurance market, rated A (Excellent), A+ (Strong) and A+ (Strong) for financial strength, by A.M. Best, Fitch Ratings and Standard & Poor’s respectively.

As an existing Plum broker do I have to apply to Plum to get access to Unoccupied?

No, you will automatically be given access to Unoccupied under your existing Plum agency. Commission will be as per your current rate on Flex and there are no changes required to your TOBA.


© Copyright @ 2020 Plum Underwriting Ltd. All rights reserved.
Plum Underwriting Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority No 309166. Registered at 50 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3JY. Company number 04509589.

Powered by

Website design by Frontmedia
Our accreditations