By this we mean the exposure to wet weather or storm damage and the damage that can be caused by faulty water apparatus such as pipes or gutters.
Steps that can help prevent damage to the property from water:
- Ensure that your property is weatherproof, especially at the end of a day's work. This is especially important of course when roof works are carried out or external walls knocked down or basements exposed.
- Gutters and waste pipes should be kept clear of any rubbish.
- Consider installing leak sensors or trays on pipes.
- If the property is going to be left unattended for any length of time we suggest that the water supply is turned off, especially if there has been any work on water pipes.
- During the winter, ensure that either the water is turned off when the property is unoccupied or that the central heating system is operational to a minimum set temperature to prevent water freezing in pipes and causing them to burst.