What is the risk? During works, the exposure to fire is greatly increased due to electrical work, welding work, use of paint removal torches etc. Should fire occur, it has the potential to cause severe damage to property (which could put the project back months) and endanger life.
Steps that can help prevent a fire at the property:
- Ensure that electrical wiring and appliances are worked on and checked by an adequately qualified electrician.
- Consider whether there is adequate fire protection at the home e.g. smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, etc.
- Consider banning smoking in or near the home.
- Seek advice from the local fire protection officer and consider the use of temporary sprinkler systems, etc, especially if the home is large.
- Any areas where work has been carried out involving heat should be checked thoroughly and the area not left unattended within an hour of the use of heat.
- Rubbish and debris created in the process of the works should be kept a suitable distance away from the building and especially if being destroyed by bonfire. It should be removed regularly.